We have an excellent opportunity for a business rates account manager to join our team in Southampton. You will responsible for the daily operational management of one large complex client portfolio or multiple smaller portfolios.
This will cover verification of rates bills issued by billing authorities in respect of properties throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Resolving queries where rates bills are not approved.
- Liaising with clients and with billing authorities to correct matters relating to occupational changes, changes to the rating list and exemptions and reliefs.
- Obtaining information from clients and responding to queries.
- Ensuring all portfolio movement is actioned appropriately.
- The creation and delivery of quality and accurate reports to clients and senior management.
- The development and maintenance of client relationships, including attendance at client meetings when appropriate.
- Meeting all KPIs as set out in Client Contracts and Service Level Agreements to agreed deadlines and to standards agreed with the Client Director and Line Manager.
- Assisting in carrying out one-off audits of historic rate payments.
- Explaining the functions of the Client Monies service to clients and colleagues and undertaking Client Monies tasks when appropriate.
What you’ll be doing:
- Fully understands the complexities of calculating rate liabilities together with rating appeal and rate relief application processes in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire and the Channel Islands.
- Working knowledge of business rate legislation and case law and able to explain this clearly to clients and junior colleagues.
- Good interpersonal skills in dealings with clients and colleagues and able to present themselves well in meetings.
- Excellent negotiating and reasoning skills when dealing with billing authorities, utilising knowledge of business rate legislation and case law to support their requests.
- Understanding of the importance of accuracy, timeliness and presentation in client reporting.
What we’re looking for:
- Sound financial and numeracy skills which demonstrate accuracy and financial probity.
- A complete understanding of the functions of the Client Monies Service and the requirements of RICS Rule 8 Protecting Client Money.
- Proficient in use of desktop software and Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel. Able to apply intermediate formulas to manipulate data.
- An ability to recognise opportunities and when it is appropriate to refer to colleagues to progress opportunities for rate savings for clients.
- An ability to recognise when a matter should be escalated to a more senior member of the team for assistance.
About GL Hearn
We are one of the UK’s leading real estate consultancies. At GL Hearn, we provide trusted commercial real estate advice to developers, investors and occupiers in both the public and private sector.
We are more than planners, valuers, rating specialists, retail and housing consultants, and community communicators; we are innovators in our field and we become our clients’ trusted partners in every project we do. Our clients’ success is our success.
GL Hearn are part of Capita Plc, a leading UK provider of technology enabled business services. We’re supporting and improving the lives of millions of people every day and we can only do this with the right people in place, working towards a shared goal. We encourage an open, honest working environment where everyone can be true to themselves and people are valued for their differences. We’re always challenging each other to learn and improve, because we know when we work together, we can deliver better outcomes. We work across such a huge range of businesses and sectors, that you’ll have the opportunity to grow and develop your career in any number of directions.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 25 days holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Flexible or remote working options available You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.